The establishment of DCC throughout Sarawak especially in the rural areas provides providing opportunities for people to get hands-on experience with a variety of digital tools and services.
Officially introduced since 2020, Pustaka Negeri is responsible for coordinating the 42 centres throughout the state which is equipped with various programs and facilities that visitors can benefits from.
DCCs will be managed by two staff under its supervision as well as the Ministry for Public Health, Housing and Local Government.
In line with the State digital economy transformation initiative, one of the main objectives for the establishment of DCC is to empower the community especially in the rural areas to get them involved in start-ups.
To promote entrepreneurship, DCCs offers services which includes trainings, seminars, talks, webinars, workspaces, coaching and mentoring, consultancy and counselling.
By promoting digital inclusivity through the provision of various digital services, rural entrepreneurs get to create job opportunities and generate their own income.
Thus, this gives opportunities for more locally produced and home-based businesses that is unique to that region’s resources or attractions.
Aside from that, DCCs is also a great space for the youths and children by providing them with open learning spaces and educational activities as well as serving as a youth meeting centre.
For the youths to be exposed to STEM environment, DDC is also well equipped with digital tools such as broadband internet services, laptops and tablets, digital video conferencing, makerspace equipment including 3D printers, 3D pens and computers, micro and online books collections and digital information.
This gives them a chance to have hands-on experience with a variety of digital tools and services.
Available throughout Sarawak, people from all walks of life such as youths, entrepreneurs and village development and security committee (JKKK) are welcome to use the services and facilities available in DCC.
Background of DCC
Vision of DCC – To Catalyse Community’s Socio-Economy through Digital Inclusivity.
The objectives of DDC are;
- To provide ICT service platform & support (Digital Infrastructure & Services)
- To enhance community digital skills & building talent capacity (Skill-based Economy)
- To offer local entrepreneur with socio-economy development & supply chains (Social Entrepreneurship)
- To increase awareness & digital readiness for current & future needs (Digital Economy Inclusion)
Key Focus of DCC
- Digital skills & capacity building
- Socio-economy development
- Community empowerment
- Sustainable & resilient community
Among the initiatives of DCC includes;
- Information & communication services
- Basic digital literacy training via customized competency programs
- Local community centre for innovation, resources, new ideas & partners in creating job opportunities & income generation
- Accessibility to e-government services & e-commerce
- Start-ups & co-working spaces
- Community products & services development/ training hub
Outcome of DCC;
- State Needs: Digital Inclusivity & Realignment of Sarawak Digital Economy Aspirations
- National Needs: Supports the initiatives of Digital Malaysia
- Global Needs: Aligned with Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) Objectives
(Source: Digital Community Centre Sarawak)
To know more about DCC, you may visit http://www.swkdcc.org/